Peering into the crowded looking glass



GOTrain Express Party


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Bloc Party
The Docks
09.12.05
(Photo from www.tannock.net)

These last 3 weeks in Sept '05 i've got a slew of concerts that i'm going to. The first band I just saw was Bloc Party @ the Docks on Sept 12.

BP is a band from the UK. I guess you can describe as a cross between Interpol and Blur and The Killers. The show was at the Docks, which was one strike against them, and all ages. Ouch. Not to sound snobby, but whenever I'm at all ages shows i find that we're treated more like cattle, with yelling to "get in line!!" "move ahead and don't wait for your friends!", and strapping on choker-tight 19+ wristbands on you. Ah well. Not to mention so much pushing! The area was long and narrow, resulting in a suffocating space to stand in, breathing in the Right Guard scent of the guy in front of me.

Even though it was at the Docks, the sound quality was pretty good. If you were in the beer section at the back however, the sound was horrendous. The sound was bouncing off the back windows, colliding with each other, like a Sonic Tsunami. Good thing I didn't need a drink!

Despite the sucky venue, the band proved to be amazing and high energy. I was skeptical going into the show because their album uses a lot of effects on guitar (distortion, delays, flanger, etc.) so i expected the same for the vocals. Thankfully, the singer came out rocking and full of energy. Bloc Party's sound is very tight with driving marching drum beats and high energy guitars - they're like a moving party train! The crowd was super energtic and participative, clapping the beat and helping to drive the music forward too.

On the CD i usualy get "bloc party'd out" by about track 6-7. It kinda did the same way at this show as well, after about 45 mins.. But they picked it back up for the encore, which was great because they showcased some cool new tunes.

Definitely a cool show. I can't wait for the next few. I have one TONIGHT with an ambient experimental band called "The Notwist". It will be me lead up to the concert i'm most excited about: SIGUR ROS!

Take care

RE

"eat drink and be merry"


0 Responses to “GOTrain Express Party”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links