Peering into the crowded looking glass



Vancouver


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Right now I am living the high life - literally. I'm sitting on the 27th floor of a specatcular condo apartment building on Vancouver island. It's midnight and i'm sitting on a couch, listening to Sarah Harmer's new album, and staring out at the orange and fluorescent glow of downtown vancouver with an ibook on my lap.

Can it get any better than this?

I've only been here for a couple of days and i can see how easy it would be to spend a summer out here. Vancouver feels like a resort - it's own little self contained area that offers all the amenities you'll ever need within a 10 min walk. You don't really need a car here. Case in point: I covered Gastown, Yaletown, 1/2 of Robson St (equiv. to bloor st) and a big part of the Queer district in *one* evening... by foot with a friend! We only sat once for some quick cheap sushi... speaking of which...

HOLY SUSHI! There are SO many sushi restaurants I swear there are more of these restaurants than the ALL the chain coffee shops in toronto combined. Thanks to competition, prices are quite reasonable as well... and tons of All-You-Can-Eat sushi, for $12!! Madness. There is one place that I hope to go to called "Tsunami Sushi", which has boats that float around that you literally just grab sushi off of the plate.

There are also a ridiculous amount of coffee shops; and most AREN'T Tim Hortons! Mostly Starbucks (20 in 15 min radius) and Blendz (Second Cup). I guess since everyone is mobile and active, they love hopping in for tea/coffee. Didn't Starbucks start in Seattle? That would make more sense too.

Oh, and the drivers here are pretty crazy. Like Montreal crazy. I've been here for 2 days and i've seen 2 accidents, a 3rd from almost happening and almost getting into one! Not to mention near-death-experiences as i was walking. Perhaps it's cause of all the rolling hills and momentum you get.. I don't know.

The view here is absolutely stunning. I love the crisp morning air, refreshing and rejuvenating my lungs and body. It truely recharges you and helps gets the juices flowing again. Amazing. The morning view above the Mountains are also breathtaking. The I love sight of civiliazation in the foreground with towering rockies and misty lakes behind.

I'm finding as I travel i just keep finding more and more about myself. Funny how living in my home area can get very comfortable; it's not until I physically removed yourself from my natural surroundings when I realized, "hey, there's more to life than what's around me at home!". SBF and I have been talking about coming back here as part of a cross Canada tour - I am only here for another day, so it would be great to come back for a longer period of time. But work calls - it brought me here, and it will take me back home!

Anyway, I should recharge and get to bed. Big day ahead tomorrow!

-RE

"eat drink and be merry"


0 Responses to “Vancouver”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links