Peering into the crowded looking glass



Shopping with the Bois


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So I was at the Dora Keogh (?) Pub on Danfoth the other day, and I got into this conversation with this guy about men's attire. He was a cool dude and coincidentally was wearing some really nice casual clothing too. He mentions this men's apparel place downtown that sells really nice stuff - not the average GAP/Old Navy/AE stuff found everywhere else.

I was intrigued since this place apparently focuses on slimmer sizes, me being a very slim guy. I have had "growing" issues with stores increasing their sizes in order to accommodate the growing population. This basically meant "large" was now simply called "medium", old "medium" called "small" and creating a new XL.. The only store where i've found the size lowered is Lulu Lemon, but c'mon, how much yoga lycra/spandex can you get? He suddenly adds a qualifier the store by saying that the salesmen are most likely gay because of stereotypical effeminate qualities...i.e. flaming queens. He's probably right. And this guy continues to mention that they've got a lot of style, but feels reserved and a tad intimiated due to the fact that he believed that when the were helping him, they we dressing according what they'd want him to look like.

Intrigued, indeed I was, since I knew he wasn't an ignorant heterosexual male who believed that just because a guy is queer means that he want him (Sorry boys, you are NOT worth it; the straight girls can keep most of you, except for Colin Firth). I probed a bit further and it was because he would rather have his gf there to find things that she personally liked him in.

...

...OK i guess -- but honestly, if a girl was helping him, would the same question cross his mind? I don't know. If these guys have good style, then they'd help you dress to what you like and make you look good -- not to just their eyes, but in general!

I went shopping w/a buddy getting him some new digs for his new job. If I had my way, i'd probably dress him a lot differently than what we ended up getting for him (which i still thought looked sweet, casual and swankin'). We took his own needs and comfortability into account when shopping. If these guys were so good, they'd do the same. Sure, some personal taste comes into play, but that's with everything becaause we all have our own consious and subconsious biases. It would be the same if some girl was helping you at a store.

So i've come to a tenative conclusion: No matter how proliferated the queer community becomes, there's always going to be some underlying fear that we may, when you men least expect it, pop you from behind when you least expect it...

In that case, bottoms up!

-RE

"eat drink and be merry"


0 Responses to “Shopping with the Bois”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links