Peering into the crowded looking glass



Down the halls of high school


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's been awhile since i've written here. Things have been busy, and the advent and global explosion of Facebook has thrown me off the blogger path a little. I hope to keep writing here, since it's something that i've had for sometime now.

I just got back from my sister's high school commencement. She went to the same high school as both my brother and I did. All three of us were there, marking a major night for my family. The last of the kids has finally finished high school! With an empty nest my parents are back in the house selling swing of things. I'll be seeing a 'for sale' sign within 1-2 years, guaranteed!

Back to the commencement. It's now been 9 years since I walked the halls of LPCI (my high school). It was foreign yet to oh so familiar to me. Having spent 5 years there I had a mass of memories banked somewhere in the recesses of my brain, erupting from the depths tonight. The lava came pouring out, hot and sputtering random memories here and there, sparked by old paintings, photos, honour rolls, squeaky auditorium chairs, mangled steps and piss-yellow lockers.

God i'm glad i'm done high school.

Funny thing was, as i walked down the hallway I imagined my friend Margaret sitting on the floor with Rani, waiting for strings class; or Lauren and Winkie in the hallway near artclass for lunch; or James, Neilson and George chatting about beating proline in the caf. Crazy shit. Some of the wall art painted by my old classmates were still there, bringing me right back to my OAC spares in the caf where we played euchre while attempting to do calculus homework at the same time.

As much as I am done with high school, i've gotta say they were some great years of my life, with all high, lows and emotional ugliness. Some of those friends are popping up on facebook again, which can be a little freaky, but all in all great. The advent of facebook is all about social networking, and as much as I can bitch about "that guy from high school i'd never want to talk to again", I am loving it. It's so cool to see where people have landed no? It's not like you need to actually hang out again! :)

So many of my memories lately have been centered around the short term - the past year of buying a house, my past relationship, past job and may be a bit from university. But i haven't gone back into the catacombs and blown off the dust from high school for some time.. and I can't help but get a little warm and fuzzy, reminiscing about the trips and toils of teen-hood.

OK, so i am feeling super old now, especially since:
a) High school in Ontario is now only 4 years = 17/18 year old grads were among us
b) Next year it will be a decade since i left
c) 99% of the staff are new, some being my age and super cute
d) The grads of 2007 were 9 years old when i graduated.

Age is just relative right? To a 55-year old I'm still a little bee.. I just wish I wasn't so hell bent on being older when i was younger, but rather just focused on my age at hand. So i'm doing it now - loving my late 20s and living it to the max!!

Take care,

-RE

Labels:


0 Responses to “Down the halls of high school”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links