Peering into the crowded looking glass



Néih Hó Ma?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have started self-teaching Cantonese from a book that SBF and I got at Indigo. I've been wanting to learn Cantonese for years now, so it feels great to finally get the noodle rolling.

The book starts off at a fast pace, with minimal theory and mostly practice in some comical conversations. As I start to make a fool out of myself reading outloud, I can recongnize some of the words from hearing in from my family. Right now I've leard to say that I prefer Japanese cars to American cars because the American cars are expensive! Heh. Already teaching the prejudices of the Chinese :). This will be a great book indeed!

I've gotten past the 7 tones - the lanugange is sung more than it is spoken. So the same word in a different tone means something completely different! I got 2 out of 11 on my tone test. SWEET.

I definitely need lost of practice, and have loaded it on my iPod. WATCHOUT TTC commuters: I will be saying "Jóu-sàhn" and "Neih hou ma?" to you!

Joi-gin,

-RE


0 Responses to “Néih Hó Ma?”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links