Peering into the crowded looking glass



DMB Weekend


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So last week I saw DMB 3 nights out of 5 days. Pretty crazy eh?

I went to 1 show in Toronto on June 30 and 2 shows at Saratoga Springs on July 2 and 3. My trusty companion could not make it for the Saratoga run, so my SBF came with me. It was a special occasion for both of us b/c I was not used to being with another HARDCORE DMB FAN (e.g. wetting pants when I hear quarter-note snare hits, clearly signaling an out-of-this-world intro to ANTS MARCHING), but rather someone who was taking it all in for the first time. It was a cool change since he had a good time and really enjoyed the energy, musicianship and overall entertainment of the shows.

We stayed in a pretty run town called Schenectady (I pronounce it SHIT-NECK-TIT-TEE). They claim to be one of the oldest towns in the US, and boy, did it show. The ppl were nice, but the houses looked like they were about to collapse at any second. There was also a random college campus in the middle of it all. It was actually well kept and therefore a direct contrast to the surrounding area. This town is about the same distance to Saratoga as Oshawa/Pickering is to Toronto. We found a hotel for $52 USD a night, rather than the $100+ in Saratoga, probably b/c of the long weekend.

I also went to my first strip mall in the US -- I don't remember the last time (or ever) going to one. It was uneventful, going into a TARGET for the first time as well as a few other stores. When i first walked into TARGET the first thing I uttered was "WOW, it's...is so ugly and massive!" :) Oops. Sadly it was a new store but decorated like it was a old Winners from the mid-80s. Why do they TRY and look old? Sorry sister, but highligher PINK carpets will NEVER be in again. (i pray).

Oh yeah, the shows
Speaking of highlighters, back to some of the highlights of the show. This year (and last) Dave has been perfecting his skat-improv vocal technique. In 1998 he started with indian chants and calls (e.g. Don't Drink and Water and even Halloween), and he's gotten funkier and edgier since. In Toronto, for Jimi thing, he got into a HUGE vocal improv-skat solo that was mind blowing. Jimi Thing the highlight of the night for me. See a clip of the vocal solo here. (editor's note: Video is coming)

For Saratoga, I got really into their new material. They played all their new stuff on the 3 nights so by the 3rd time I starting to get the groove of the tunes. I think there were about 4 new songs they were playing with, and you could tell that a few were almost done and a few were still in the works. On the first Saratoga night they played one since that barely had a structure; it was Dave singing what sounded like a few verses and somthing like a chorus, and huge jamming between. Dave maintained direct eye contact with all the band members the entire time so they could keep with him on what he was doing. I felt so special to be part of new songs being created - I can't wait to see what happens to this song in a few months when it finds it's shape.

Ok, so i just checked the setlist on the DMB site to see if they had names of the new songs. Guess what! Ok, I was late for the first 2 songs of the show in Saratoga (it took forever to get there from T.O.!). And what did i miss...PIG AND THE STONE!!!!!!!!!! HOLY FUCKING CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! OF ALL SONGS!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!! Life isn't fair sometimes, i guess. But MAN, there's not fair and there's pouring kikkoman soya sauce on my open heart wound!! However, the rest of the show was still great (CRY FREEDOM / RECENTLY (w/wicked Butch Taylor keys solo) / BEST OF WHAT'S AROUND / BILLES) ... AND PIG/STONE!!!. Checkout the setlist if you get a chance (July 2).

Woah, I need to get these shows so i can hear all of them again. BUT MAN, PIG OPENER??!!? Perhaps daveheads can only understand this, but honestly, yeah. HOLY CRAP. Why oh why!

Ok, i need to stop. I've venting my diarharrea of emotions on a freaking blog. I need to get some fresh air :).

Take care,

RE

"don't beat your head, dry your eyes and let the love in" -PIG!


0 Responses to “DMB Weekend”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Vegasbaby
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links